Thursday, June 19, 2014

Summer at last!

If you are here for BSBP8---Please scroll down one post :)
If not...



Summer is finally here and with it come all sorts of surprises! Like…
We had a rattle snake in our back yard…
Tons of rain and hail all within an hour…
12 year old’s birthday party- ice skating and dinner followed by arcade…
Ok, so the birthday wasn’t a surprise, but the ice skating was… I hadn’t planned on doing much of anything for this birthday, it is sadly on the same day as it was 6 years ago when my husband passed away. My son asked to have the party at the house, but I used every excuse in the book not to have it here. In the end, we did bring all the kids back and they had a really fun time playing outside with the Nerf guns and then a quick football game, then it rained… and hailed…
Not much else on the homefront, I have been working bit by bit, doing some metal work, wanting to teach my son as much as I can but sadly he really isn’t that interested. I started him on chainmaille last December and thought he was really excited about it, but….
So, I have been cutting out earrings and pendants out of copper and brass, doing as many as I can  and then working on enameling them or maybe just putting a patina on them. I like enameling but I’m not that great at it. I just can’t seem to get the right temperature for the right amount of time with the torch and I have a small beehive kiln that is great, but… I am pretty messy, I got  a little bit of glass powder on the brick and fused my pendant onto the brick… sigh… I just don’t know how to keep it from shifting when I place the piece into  the kiln. Either placing it on the brick when it is open or using a little metal spatula… I just can’t seem to keep it steady or not bump it with my finger or drop it… ugh… I just don’t think I have what it takes to do enameling. Maybe I could swap out with someone that loves enameling and doesn’t like to do something I can.  I am getting better at sawing. I have been practicing a lot. I know I have a long way to go but it really is getting easier.
I don’t have a picture to post of the work in progress… well… OK , so I do, I am just too lazy to get up and find my camera.  I am so sleepy right now. I have had a headache all day for the past two days and the birthday party didn’t help. I haven’t slept well in a while and I am getting a bit cranky.
If I get up in the morning and am not as cranky, I’ll put a picture up with this. … don’t hold your breath!!!

I like the way the skulls turned out... they will be necklace and earrings
So.....here are a couple of pics...
Don't laugh! My first try with this enamel... on copper, one of my first sawed pieces.

I added silver dimensional paint to this for his collar

I was going for a orange and yellow color scheme here... more yellow here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, thank you for visiting the blog!