Friday, February 21, 2014

New Workroom~ not really, just revamped workroom

I've been preoccupied the past few weeks with working on a space for my sewing room. I continually have had it all over the house and thought that it was time to take back my workroom. The space was a horrid place with an unfinished floor and partially finished walls, and I had my sewing desk and a lot of fabric in there, but nothing was organized and it was impossible to get to my sewing desk. I will not ever show a picture of the state it was in before I started... I am too embarrassed, and I will show pictures of the empty space as soon as I find the lead to the computer from the Nikon... I have grown to hate that cute little camera.
The space is by no means finished, but it will suffice for now. I have tons of sewing to finish, from dog collars and leads to capes and tutus and arm warmers, and the list goes on and on and on....
March is upon us and I am woefully behind. Festival season is about to start and I have very little inventory.

Sooooooooooo.... here goes, my short and sweet little tribute to the workroom... 
The ceiling is still a mess, but the walls turned out ok. the floor is half done but I moved in and started working anyway. 
The problem is always lack of space. I could have a warehouse 100x100 feet and still would need a bunch more space. The real problem is that I have sewn for ages, then added other crafts to the mix... I don't just make kids clothes anymore, I don't just make quilts anymore... I don't just paint, I don't just sculpt, I don't just make fairy stuff.... sigh... 

So, I have got a lot of sewing machines and I don't have room yet to put them in, but I have several in so far. Trying for space for three of the machines that are in cabinets. I have this desk that I will use for most of the sewing and have several portable machines that I love, and another desk for the serger, and a cutting table, and then tons of bookcases and shelving.. and those fun little rolling drawers, that are indispensable... There are two metal carts that are on wheels, and my old Government issue file cabinets... and one old wooden cabinet that I don't have in yet, but will be in soon...
I decided after working for a little bit on the room that there was no way on earth that my jewelry bench and all the junk that I have will ever fit in here. Which is ok, really it is. There is plenty of space now for it to stay in the room that it is in. I like the idea of not having the sewing stuff in with the jewelry... as jewelry making is totally filthy work.  I don't even have all the nasty dirty stuff in my jewelry workroom, because it is too dusty or fumy to be in a smaller space. I use the closed in back porch to do grinding and heat related work then take stuff back to the workbench. 
So, here are a few more pictures...
My old file cabinets, two of the drawers are being fixed, and will be back in place tomorrow...
I love this old thing. It was olive drab but I had a wild tear and painted it one time. Love the colors, but thinking maybe they need to be lime green and turquoise???
These hold a ton of stuff. I have patterns and files and junk in them... and I need to sort through and get rid of junk that I haven't used in forever...
 This is one of my little sewing machines, a "toy" that works pretty well.. Still needs cleaning up, but I love the color of this one...
 And this little beauty is one of my favorites, 





The little Singer isn't bad...




A few of my little friends came along with me in the room change. I have a whole shelf of junk that the kids give me or I saved from the charity shop box of toys not wanted anymore... The Green Power Ranger is knocking a hole in the "wall"





I think this is my favorite machine, I know it isn't expensive or anything but it is cute and pretty and I love it. It still needs the handle replaced and to be oiled and a new needle but it will sit on the shelf and be pretty a while longer!
I have been working the past week, and need to keep on track and not be distracted by pretty toys and rearranging too much... I moved my paints into the room the other day and have been multitasking.  I also put a table in for my son to do his "work". He does grab bags for kids with candy and a little toy. He keeps all the money from the sales and can spend it on whatever he wants.. .which is usually something from the festival we are at. He is also making rubber band bracelets and paracord bracelets... he wants to do chainmaille... but still doesn't get that it will take him forever to make something to sell... he thinks the small pieces that he has done might sell.... sigh.... I might have to buy them from him to use in a bracelet or necklace or something.

Working on butterflies, no dragonflies yet, but will work on them over the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. What a cheery spot, Maire! I'm not sure I'd get any work done, I'd be so busy playing with all the wonderful "toys". For keeping my extra sewing machines out of the way, I love those wheeled platforms designed for desktop computers, the perfect size and I can keep them handy under the worktables, yet easily accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! It is hard to keep on track, I find myself thinking, oh, this would be fun to make or that would be kind of cool, and I get off track sometimes... squirrel... and forget what I was doing! I am going to be chained to the sewing machine today... or maybe not, it is supposed to be 80F and I am really wanting to be outside :)
    That is a great idea for keeping your machines. I have those two old carts that I keep my Cricuts and a couple of machines on, but it would be handy to have something to keep them on and out of the way! I still haven't moved in my old machines and might not get them in until the end of March, but... that would help a bit, since I can put the extras on top of them

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, thank you for visiting the blog!