Friday, June 07, 2013

Life after 5th Grade

The close of the school year, yipee! It's been a long one, with sickness, personal and family problems, we finally made it.  There is no end in sight to the problems we face, but summer seems to make everything better.
Fang, my son, (names have been changed to protect the innocent) made quite a show at the awards assembly. He wore his black suit jacket and a black tshirt with the bright green design, along with his khaki shorts... he was dashing. I called him, Bond, James Bond... there were so many people that stopped me and told me how handsome he was, then when we were leaving the classroom to go check out of school, one of the girls in his class nearly knocked people over (quite literally) to get to Fang. She hugged him and told him to have a good summer... he just smiled that little shy smile and went on. Echos back to Kindergarten when the twins would run up to him and hug him, and he would just look at them... never saying anything. I guess that's how these men are born. They are just too cool for words.

Fang has his summer planned out pretty well. He has the Duke TIP program to work on and he is supposed to help me with my summer camp classes, and he has his birthday coming up shortly... which is always time consuming for the week before. This year it is Fun City, with go carts and put put golfing... He is excited to do the go carts. Suddenly it is time for him to learn how to drive... I know, I didn't start until I was 12, but my daughter started at 8 and I think  he needs to know now. He is much more careful at nearly 11 than my daughter was at 16... or 25... haha, ok, so , we're going to go out to one of the caliche roads and practice. I'll give updates if I survive...

First day out of school and it came a thunderstorm at about 6 am. I got up and closed windows, unplugged electronics and made a cup of tea. The storm passed quickly, rolling across the Basin with rumbles and fantastic lightening. I'm not sure how much we officially got rainwise, but it was a good showing. One house to the West of us was struck by lightening and burned down, but with the rain we aren't in danger of it spreading. Always get nervous when fires are to the West of us. Back maybe 4 1/2 years ago a house  in the next block down from us caught on fire and spread to the next house, We all kind of got nervous. Only one way out of the cul du sac and it was blocked, wind was really strong, things were dry, but they realized that they were blocking us in... and moved their trucks. Fire spreads so easily when it is hot and dry, and when the wind is at 40mph or more it spreads even faster.

I went to the eye doctor last week... we walked in the office and it was dark, everyone was standing around talking, the power had just gone out. Don't know what happened, but I had to reschedule my appointment. I was really perturbed, that I drove all the way over to their office for nothing. Gasoline is a precious commodity and I was feeling so bad, on top of the fact that I shouldn't drive at all, but... things happen.  I am really ready to get this over with... or at least started. My sight is worse every day it seems. I have completely given up trying to bead. Even with larger beads and magnifying glass I am still having problems. With the computer as well. it seems harder and harder to see even with the page magnified.  My son has picked up on the fact that not only do I not hear (he will ask if I heard what the person talking to me said...) but that I can't see either, and will tell me if something doesn't look right. He is such a love.

We are off to such a lovely summer, cool and nice, I want to have a garage sale...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, thank you for visiting the blog!